* A portrait has been posted on-line at http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~westklic/wcportrait.html
MILO M. CUSHING is one of the earliest pioneers of the territory now occupied by Wasco county, and having weathered the storms of half a century here, is now permitted to see the country developed which was a wilderness when he came. He resides about three miles east from The Dalles and there owns a good farm. He is well known all over this part of the country and has the good will and esteem of everyone who knows him.
Milo M. Cushing was born in Truxton, New York, on July 3, 1820. His father, Charles Cushing, was born on January 3, 1793, and died at Hillsdale, Michigan. His father, Asaph L., the grandfather of our subject, was born in 1767, while this venerable gentleman's father, Nathan Cushing, which would be the great-grandfather of our subject, was born in 1730. The family were of old colonial stock and prominent both as pioneers of the country and as patriots in the various wars. The, mother of our subject, Hannah (Morris) Cushing, was a native of New York and died on October 18, 1824. The Morris family is one well known in the early history of this country. Asaph L. Cushing was a musician in the war of 1812. When Milo M. was five years old his mother died and he was reared by his grandparents, on his father's side, until the father married Mrs. Harriet Maxon. When fourteen, our subject began life for himself and wrought variously, attending school in winters until eighteen. He then went into the grocery business in Shawnee and was deputy postmaster of the town. Two years later he sold out and soon went to Michigan, where his grandfather Morris was. Then we find him operating in a hotel in Armada and also he handled a grocery store. Two years later he opened a grocery in Hillsdale, but was taken ill in two years. Upon his recovery he bartered dry goods to the Indians for furs for a year, then, on June 6, 1845, he married Miss Mary A. Burlingham, in Washington, Michigan, who was born in Warsaw, New York, on March 30, 1822. In December, 1848, he enlisted in the regular army and handled the officers' mess at fort Gratiot, Michigan. On September 9, 1849, his wife died and then he gave up that position and took up the regular duty of a soldier from which he was promoted to sergeant. In 1852, he came to Oregon, being under Captain Alvord, Colonel Bonneville, Grant being regimental quartermaster. He was in regular quartermaster service and in the discharge of other duties until December, 1853, when he received his discharge at The Dalles. He then obtained permission to erect a building on the government reserve, which is now the ground occupied by The Dalles. He soon had a good block house made of hewn logs on the river front. Later he erected a hotel and also a merchandise establishment. His were the first business buildings in the now prosperous town of The Dalles. His hotel was known as the Cushing House, and the rates were seventy-five cents per meal and fifty cents for a bed. After operating the hotel for a year, Mr. Cushing rented it but continued with the mercantile business for five years then took a homestead on Millcreek. Mr. Cushing owned a quarter interest in the steamboat "Wasco," which plied between The Dalles and the Cascades. He held this interest for three years. This was the first boat built east of the Cascades for this run. Later he sold all his town property and did farming on Mill creek. On April 6, 1854, he married Miss Mary Piggott, a native of Ireland. Later he engaged in business in The Dalles until 1876, when he sold out and retired to the farm where he now resides. He bought state land here and for many years handled the poor farm. Mrs. Cushing came here in 1853. She is the daughter of William and Catherine (Noonon) Piggott, natives of Ireland, where they remained until their death. Mrs. Cushing has no near relatives in the United States. Mr. Cushing has one sister, Mary E. Evans, a widow, and one half brother. James N., and one half sister, Jane E. By his first marriage, Mr. Cushing had one child, Charles B., a merchant in Tacoma, also one deceased, Mary A., who died in McComb county, Michigan. To Mr. Cushing and his present wife, the following named children have been born; Eliza F., Frank L., Caleb, Joseph M., Morris A., all dead; Milo M., Jr., in Mayville, Oregon; and William H., who is mentioned elsewhere in this work. Mr. Cushing succeeded the settler as postmaster of The Dalles and was elected the first justice of the peace but did not qualify. He was, also, the first treasurer of the county, being elected on the Democratic ticket. Mr. Cushing's name is indelibly written in the history of Wasco county and the labors he has done are far reaching and excellent. He and his wife are among the most highly esteemed people in the county at this day, and these venerable Christian people, dwelling in security in the country they assisted to wrest from the wilderness, is one of the beautiful sights of the west.
Submitted to the Oregon Bios. Project in January 2005 by Jeffrey L. Elmer. Submitter has no additional information about the person(s) or family mentioned above.