Book and Journal of Robt. B. McAfee's Mounted Company, in Col. Richard M. Johnson's Regiment, from May 19th, 1813, including Orders, &cc.

October 1813

Oct. 1st -- At Sunrise I crossed the Detroit River into Canada with Lieut. Cardwell & Sharp & several of my men the sun rose with splendor and I immediately rode down to Sandwich and despached boats back for my company this place is equal to Detroit & is as handsome a place as ever the sun shined upon. I met Maj. Arnold & Col. Crockett was with me in my tent last evening with many more of my Kentucky friends. I encamped my company in a lott above the Church a large frame house with a cupula covered with tin where we got oats & Hay for our horses a council was held by Genl. Harrison & the Governor (Shelby) in which it was decided to pursue Proctor up Lake St. Clair & the RIver Thames & Marching orders were issue [sic] in the night for to start at five o'clock in the morning - the foot & horse encampment included the greater part of the town of Sandwich and Centries were placed round so as to permit any person to pass into Camp but none to go out - So as they could carry information to the enemy which was certainly a very salutary regulation.

Oct. 2nd -- The foot troops with Governor Shelby at their Head marched at Sun rise. We were ordered to take the front, the Governor observing that if we wished to overtake our enemy we must march at the dawn of day and always do more than he did. About one hour by sun we marched & fell in the rear of the foot about 8 miles thro a thick settled country of fine farms and Houses on the bank of the Detroit River & Lake St. Clair the foot then Halted & we took the front and after marching about twenty miles up the border of Lake St Clair over a fine level sandy road, we were met by six deserters who informed us that Genl. Proctor and his army with Genl. Tecumseh & twelve hundred Indians were about 15 miles above the mouth of the River French or Thames that they had left him about one o'clock on yesterday, it was near sunset when we got this information but it infused new life into our Regt. and we marched on four miles farther & encampt in a skirt of woods between the Lake and Prararie below the mouth of a large creek with five or six good houses and farms in sight 24 miles above Sandwich the fast troops encampt immediately in our rear in two long lines on the borders of the Lake - Great exertions were made by the whole army to overtake the British and Indians. Three schooners loaded with provisions & about fifty boats accompanied us with a fine breeze their rear. Two of our large ships had passed up the day before & had anchored at the mouth of the River Thames, so that Providence seems to aid us in all our movements. I had a remarkable Dream last night which communicated to my mess in the morning assuring them that I had a firm confidence in either taking Tecumseh or Proctor but I believe that we would only get one of them it was as follows - that I was annoyed by a Rattlesnake that had been considered as an old offender in a certain place, that after a considerable struggle we caught and killed him and cut off his head. This little circumstance impressed itself so strong upon my mind that I felt a complete confidence in having a battle & that we would have a victory which would eventuate in the destruction of one of our old enemies, & I frequently assured my men not to despair that I fully believed that we would overtake & conquer them --

Oct. 3rd -- We march at day Light having first sent back 100 men to guard and bring up our artillery consisting of two six pounders drawn on carriages we marched very Rapidly 12 miles to the mouth of the River Thames around which is an open prarie for several miles. Just above which there is two bad creeks or Bios over which is placed two bridges here our Spies with Genl. Harrison & Col. Johnson with them caught a British Lieutenant & seventeen soldiers who had been sent back to spy out our movements & if we were pursuing them to destroy and tare [sic] up the Bridges so as to retard our movements the whole was done in the presence of the Regt. the whole squad was taken which was very fortunate as their was not one man left to carry back the news which is another mark of Divine favor and blessing, they had just begun to tare up one bridge which we repaired in the course of one hour and the foot passed over in front and went on about five miles in front tho our spies were still before them information was brought to Col. Johnson that a party of British dragoons on the opposite bank of the River and some Indians on the south side & our spies had exchanged fire at one another and enemy had retreated we were immediately ordered on in fron to bring on the attack and in passing Genl. Harrison he observed that we must be careful not to pursue to far or we would be led into an ambuscade. We pressed on and formed a line of Battle and in about nine miles above the mouth of the river we campt in a large farm and had plenty for ourselves and horses we were now confident in overtaking the British so that every preparation was made for a fight.

Oct. 4th -- We marched very early and in about six miles our spies and the British and Indians fired upon one another, the enemy were hid behind barns and fences and some of the opposite side of the River we formed the line of Battle and while a woman who appeared to have been sent as our guardian Angel came to us in the wood and informed us that about six miles above the River forked, that there was a large bridge across the mouth of the Right hand fork and a mill and bridge about a mile and a half up the fork where the Indians were encampt and she expected that they would make a stand and fight us at that place, this information put us on our guard, and this day we marched and on the extreme right of the foot troops over the worst logs, swamps and Brush I ever saw, and very rapidly sometimes in a gallop about twelve o'clock the firing commenced on our left and our cannon opened at the Bridge at the mouth of creek we pushed on to the right and owing to the fork coming in at a very acute angle we were some time before we got in sight of the Creek, which when we approached the firing became general along our lines which we immediately formed in order of battle and my company came up directly at the Bridge and Indian Camp which a few fires soon routed, they having first set fire to the Bridge and Mill, the latter of which was consumed with several thousand Bushels of wheat several of my company narrowly escaped being killed or wounded, but half an hour put us in possession of the Bridge and whole Indian Camp, which they had abandoned with precipitation, having strewd their plunder in every direction. In this fight Capt. Rice and Combs of our Regt. each had a man killed and Sergeant-Major Dickison was shot thro the thigh and had his horse killed under him. Capt. Craig was wounded in the shoulder, the enemy had also torn up the lower Bridge and retired, as soon as the firing had ceased Genl. Harrison sent his aid to know our situation Col. Johnson went to the Genl., and upon his Return Capt. Combs and Rice were sent with their company to cross at the Lower Bridge and reconoitre around our bridge on the opposite side in the meantime several of my company crossed over on foot upon the sills of the Bridge which had not been cut and J. Cardwell was shot by an Indian & the bullet cut his overhalls between his legs. We found several fine bear skins and many fine Brass Kettles & Indian plunder of all kinds and four or five barrels of flour. The Indians had poured out all the flour they had, a party was set immediately to repairing the bridge and in one hour we crossed and in about a mile we halted and found that the British or Indians had set fire to a fine schooner with two masts loaded with Muskets, cannon-balls & Military stores of an immense amount, which had all burnt down to the water edge, every eight or ten minutes a bomb would burst which the enemy supposed with injury to us but they were mistaken for our caution was equal to their craft and evil designs. After grazing our horses a few minutes we marched on after the foot army and in about a mile we passed the carriage of a 24 pounder which at once convinced us that the enemy were retreating as fast as possible, in this attack Tecumseh with five hundred warriors fought us and his loss amounted to twelve and ours to two only which is an odds worth fighting for - an order from Genl. Harrison & Col. Johnson who was with the front guard now met us that the foot troops were within three miles of the main body of the enemy - We immediately Hurried on it being very late in the evening and in five miles came up with the foot troops and campt for the night in a large farm as the river is thickly settled with elegant farms, we got plenty for ourselves and horses and after dark Col. Johnson collected us together viz - the Captains & Genl. Harrison soon came up and directed to furnish ourselves with beef for a forced march on tomorrow as he was determined if possible to bring them to a stand according beef was drawn in my company & every preparation made for an early start, with high anticipation of success our watch-word being "never fear." - a Deserter came in and gave us full information as to the situation and movements of the enemy - every part of the army seemed to vie with each other as to discipline and anxiety to out do one another in case we got into a contest -- [Transcriber's note: I have scanned a map that Robert B. McAfee drew in his journal, showing the relative locations of the American, British and Indian troops during the battle of 4th Oct at the fork of the River Thames.]

Oct. 5th [1] [Transcriber's note: I have scanned another map that Robert B. McAfee drew in his journal, showing the relative locations of the American, British and Indian troops during the battle of 5th Oct at the River Thames.] -- We marched at the dawn of day (last evening a house and another vessel was burnt by the British at the place of our encampment we saved a house from fire with upwards of one thousand of arms) in three miles still marching up the river we came to a deep ravine with a bridge across it which was thrown down beyond which was a large frame house, in sight below this in a boat at the bend of the river we got twenty British regulars & took a one masted vessel which they had just set fire to which was extinguished by Capt. Matson, my company soon filled the ravine with fence rails and passed over with Genl. Harrison and going two miles farther we got another large boat loaded with women and children and ten or fifteen other boats and cannon with soldiers and plunder in them and in three miles we came to a mill owned by Theophilus Arnold where we took a British Capt. and eight men who was bringing his wife out of the way of a battle they meant to give us in a few miles as he said the Indians were formed in a thick woods over the river, we immediately formed in a line of battle with my company and waited for the coming up of the foot as we intended to cross the river to the North side up which side the British were marching. Each horseman was ordered by Genl. Harrison to take one of the foot behind him and cross the river in that order, Col. Trotters Regt. advanced and we each carried one man over and I formed my company in a line of battle on the opposite side along a fence, we got ten or fifteen cannon with a keel boat from the Indians which they had abandoned in such Hurry as to leave a good quantity of plunder which soon enabled the whole foot army to cross - here Col. Whitley of Capt. Davisons company went up on one side of the river and killed and scalped an Indian and took several prisoners - our whole army being over in less than three quarters of an hour, we again took up our line of march proceeding with caution expecting battle every moment, every now & then taking up Indian plunder, canon & guns, clothing and eatables which they had thrown away in a hurry and in three miles from the crossing of the river we came to another mill and bridge over the dam which had not been fired half an hour the mill was in flames and the dam and bridge we soon extinguished so that we crossed immediately. The enemy had torn up several bridges previous to this which we repaired as fast as they could tare up as they only had time to throw off the planks or logs and leave the cills which we soon could repair. We discovered smoke arising from the last mill before we approached it and pushed on to save it but could not - we expected a fight at this place - in two miles from the place we came to a large farm where 8 or 10 bake ovens had been erected very lately to supply the British with bread and the owner of the place was the contractor and expected the British to make a stand & that his place was to be laid off in a town - he met us and said that the Indians had almost ruined him by camping in his farm last night, but his duplicity was soon discovered by one view of his bake ovens - from several carts being left in the road we strongly suspected him of concealing the Indians plunder and from the number of Canon left we generally believed that they did not mean to fight - as some of our spies had ran some of the British dragoons for two or three miles - We from this place marched on in a fast trot close in the rear of our spies in fine line making a solid column all in the great road and had gone near three miles all in close pursuit not expecting to see an enemy until we got to the Moravian town five miles in advance when our spies discovered a British horseman before them and soon caught by a fair race and the Regt. soon came up in the order before named, when the prisoner informed us that the British army with twelve hundred Indians were ready formed in order of battle not three hundred yards before us in thick woods with a swamp on their right, this information was not believed by many but upon my suggesting to the Col. that we were considerably in advance of the footmen I thought it prudent that we should form in line of Battle and send on our spies to see the truth of the story and dispatch a messenger to Genl. Harrison for orders, we immediately formed the line of Battle my company on the right from the river out where it was discovered that their was a swamp at the distance of two hundred and fifty yards from the river & paralell with the river, which could scarcely be crossed, my company extended across it with Matson & Elliston on horseback in the rear on the right Capt. Stucker was formed adjoining my company on the left and the other companies formed as laid down in Co. Johnsons Genl. order. I directed my company to tie their horses and advance fifty steps in front and take trees, in a few minutes our spies sent us a messenger that the British were actually in sight that they had formed their line and wished a reinforcement, an Express which Wm Thomas carried was sent to Genl. Harrison and in the course of a quarter of an hour Genl. Harrison came riding up and sent Maj. Wood, the commander of the artillery with a spy-glass to view the situation of the enemy which when he had returned, Genl. Harrison directed us to form our line on the extreme left with two companies at right angles on the extreme left in the form of an L - but in a few minutes and after some conversation with Col. Johnson, the Genl. directed each Battallion to form a charging column on each side of the swamp, our Batallion on the right next to the river and the 2nd Battallion beyond the swamp on our left, which we immediatey did by countermarching while the foot army formed our rear, we then came up, my company in three lines with Lieut. Cardwell, Sharp & Adams at the head of each line & myself between the heads of the Division with Col. James Johnson & Maj. Payne in front, Capt. Elliston & Matson in two lines each on my left and Capt. Hamilton on my left, making eight lines with Capt. Church & Berrys company in line of Battle in front. Maj. Thompsons Battallion composed of Capt. Stucker, Davison, Combs, Rice and Coleman formed in like order on the left beyond the swamp with orders to charge thro the enemies lines and form in the rear of the first fire, when thus formed the two Battallions were not in sight Col. Richard commanded on the Left and at a signal of the Trumpet from our wing when ordered both battallions were to charge, it was now about two and a half hours by sun, when Genl. Harrison came riding up and informed us that the infantry wwre ready and to charge and if we would follow it up close we would not lose any men scarcely the trumpet then sounded and we charged on horseback about fifty yards when the spys fired and were fired on by the British, they nearly all dismounted and began to fire from behind trees which gave us a check and we had to halt our danger thus on horseback in column was immediately seen, the spys were ordered to mount and charge every officer exerted himself and Genl. Harrison exclaimed charge them my brave Kentuckians and the Indian yell was raised and we rushed upon them like a storm and receaved a heavy fire by the whole British line when at the distance of twenty steps, but it only inspired us with fresh courage and before they could reload we broke their lines & one half of the Battallion wheeled to the left and the other to the right & completely surrounded the British who immediately surrendered as fast as they could throw down their arms. I wheeled to the right and pursued the road in full chase after a few horsemen who were making off with Genl. Proctor at their head we continued on two miles to the Moravian town and in full of six pieces of their artillery where about twenty Dragoons were on the wing spiking their Cannon, orders then came to return & the firing still continuing on the left wing & only at the time having nine of my men with me I returned & soon met Capt. Redding & Berry and Maj. Suggett with small parties, when we were all directed to return I came then back about a mile and met Maj. Payne, Genl. Cass & Maj. Chambers with a considerable part of our Division of my company some of Capt. Matson, Elliston & the spys with orders to Pursue Genl. Proctor. I now discovered that my horse was lame and upon an examination I found that he was shot in the fore leg & side of the hip. I However put myself at the head of my men and continued the pursuit six or seven miles on the road beyond the town which was full of waggons, coats, caps, valises, knapsacks and clothes all thrown off and lying in confusion the enemy being routed had retreated in the utmost confusion, women and children were in every waggon, in about seven miles Genl. Cass ordered me to take charge of the women and children which I immediately did, directing each man to take a woman behind him & a child before and bring them back to the town I did not get back till after dark when I took up quarters in some of the cabbins near the River.
     The battle on the left wing was against Genl. Tecumseh and his Indians and was much more obstinate so much so that the logs brush and swamp prevented them from charging thro & the Indians fired so hot that the companies had to dismount and fight from behind trees and logs in the Indian way & repeated charges and repulses took place on each side. Col. Johnson was wounded in the first fire & Genl. Tecumseh it is said fell by the hands of our Col. The battle lasted near an hour and was fought entirely by Col. Johnsons Regt. and two companies of Gov. Shelbys troops which eventuated in the total defeat of the British & Indians and the capture of Genl. Proctors aid, Maj. Chambers, Col. Evans Maj. Muir and twenty other officers were taken and between four and five hundred Prisoners and with the loss of all their artillery & ammunition waggons & private property Elliots carriage & Proctors chair which at once given us possession of all this part of Upper Cannada [sic]. The Battle was fought on the north bank of the river Thames two miles below the Moravian Town, but lasted to the town and several miles beyond it. This Battle will at once crown Col. Johnson with immortal honor. The Governor of Kentucky Col. Shelby gallantly encouraged his men & did everything in his power to inspire his men with ardor, and never did enthusiastic valor inspire men with more heroic courage than upon this occasion, no dastardly fears or hanging back, every eye beamed with the fire of freemen and each officer & soldier discharged his duty to the utmost, for at most our regt. did not exceed nine hundred and fifty men and we had to fight a combined force of British and Indians ammounting to sixteen hundred so that Heaven has smiled upon us beyond our asking the very elements conspired in our favor, so that Hulls dastardly surrender and Raisins Bloody field and Fort Meigs Massacre have in some measure been revenged by the Kentuckians, and I most fervently hope that a total separation has taken place between the British and Indians and that Peace will once more smile upon our North western frontiers so long stained by the Blood of innocent women & children ---
     We lost ten killed & thirty-five wounded, the enemy seventy-nine killed & ten wounded.
     I encamped in town with about one hundred men of my company Ellistons, Matsons & Hamiltons, we took possession of the house and picketting and got plenty of corn for our horses, about 11 O'clock at night Col. Gano & 150 men came to aid us and about 3 o'clock in the night or morning of [continued on Oct. 6th entry]

Oct. 6th -- a British Ensign Cochran came in with six ment and surrendered himself a prisoner of war he was a well informed young man and much of a Gentleman. Our conversation turned on the war and he appeared a staunch friend of his country. I felt much for him tho I informed him of their cruel conduct to our prisoners which he very much condemned. This day I was directed by Genl. Harrison and the Governor to take command of a Fatigue party to make rafts & boats to carry the plunder we had taken down the river. I had 17 made and we were the whole day bringing it in and had to encamp again in the town & had plenty to eat for ourselves & horses.

Oct. 7th -- Spent the day in collecting in plunder - the foot army encamped on the battle ground & our regt. in the twon about 3 o'clock in the evening Col. Owings Regt. of Regulars came up and took charge of the plunder and the whole army marched off and we sett fire to the town, putting the first torch to the Moravian Church and consumed the whole to ashes and we continued our march down the river to the large plantation where the bake ovens were and encamped amidst plenty we had four or five hundred prisoners who appear to be not much cast down but all glad it is no worse. [Transcriber's note: see Robert B. McAfee's map of Moravian Town before it was burned.]

Oct. 8th -- we marched early and crossed the river at the same place we had as we went up and continued down the River to a large plantation about one mile below a thick settled village on the north side of the river, and campt without any material accident the foot army with Governor Shelby continued down on the opposite side of the River the inhabitants in general are very cautious and tho we have taken what we wanted and almost ruined some men yet they submit to it without a murmur. Genl. Harrison has promised to have compensation made them.

Oct. 9th -- Marched early - raining and disagreeable we continued on our march down the river passing a part of Ball Regt. & the Pittsburg Blues at the mouth of the river where our shipping lay and had in our absence taken a British schooner that had been gone over a month up into Lake Huron and was laden with fur. She came sailing up to our vessels and was taken without the fire of a gun as she had no information of our victories. We then come on down the lake within nine miles of Sandwich and campt for the night and it rained and blew a storm very disagreeable we got corn and oats for our horses which was taken by order of Superior power.

Oct. 10th -- Cold, blowing and snowing - Detroit River was boisterous we marched early and got to Sandwich about ten o'clock and took up camp near the Roman Church which I visited and saw the old priest go thro his ceremonies. He spoke in French and of course unintelligible to me I remarked that every one of their profession when they came in dipt their hands in the holy water and crossed themselves - It continued a very disagreeable day until evening when it became clear and pleasant - we got a house to ly in and drew flour for my company for two days.

Oct. 11th -- Up early - Lieut. Cardwell & Sharp crossed the River and got four boats for the purpose of my companys crossing the River and Genl. Harrison directed that we should cross as soon as possible - in the evening we got meat and forage for our horses - it was very cold and the River boisterous so that we could not cross, it is high time for horsemen to be away from this country as it is impossible for them to subsist in a country already exhausted by an Indian and British army and from the present prospects any longer stay would only result in distressing the inhabitants and of no service to our country - A Wyandot chief and eighty warriors deserted the Indians on the 4th Int. previous to our fight at the Bridge and is now suing for peace - one or two flags have come in from the Potawatimies who are now all as humbly suing for peace as they formerly exerted their cruelties upon our defenseless wounded and distressed prisoners at the River Rezin and other places on our frontier - whether they ought to be gratified or not is a matter of policy with our Government but one thing I would make certain if I had the power, which is that I never would make presents to them of any kind as it only upholds them in Lazyness when our Citizens have to work hard for their support -

Oct. 12th -- Heavy frost, very early with the Keel Boats we procured - on yesterday we began to cross my company back to the Detroit side - we all got over safe about two hundred & fifty yards above the Spring well and I got quarters with my Mess in the house of a Mr. Baptist Campo, a Frenchman who treated us very civily. Gov. Shelbys troops campt opposite Detroit and part of them crossed over this day to that place - nothing of moment transpired except the Indians who were suing for peace and begging for protection. Information arrived that Genl. Wilkinson with the centre army had driven the British from Fort George and had taken all their Baggage -

Oct. 13th -- We lay in our encampment and the whole Regt. got over and encampt at & above the Spring-well. Genl. Harrison held a counsel with the Miamis & Potawatimies which eventuated in an armistice and suspension of Hostilities for the present, the greater part of the Military Stores & Boats which we got from the British landed safe at the wharf and were unloaded to the great satisfaction of our commanding Genl. and late in the evening a flag came in from Genl. Proctors party to know the situation of the Prisoners and to demand some private papers which was all the object it had as far as I could learn.
      Govr. Shelbys troops marched for home, and took charge of the Prisoners, the greater part of them crossed at the mouth of the River Rouche five miles from Detroit Below. We were detained a few days until the Indians are disposed of in some way or another.

Oct. 14th -- A pleasant day after Breakfast I rode up to Detroit as was in the counsel which was concluded and articles for suspension of Hostilities & an armistice until the pleasure of the President of the United States should be known, they agreed to be at peace, to retire to their hunting ground immediately, and deliver up all Prisoners in their possession at Fort Wayne as soon as possible these articles were signed by Genl. Harrison on the part of the United States and the following Potawatimies and Miami chiefs leaving room for the insertion of several other tribes as they came in, the Indians also agreed to be be friendly with one another -


Five Medal or Knoxsy


Baptist Rusherville

     The latter [Baptist Rusherville] a Frenchman or half-Blood who with Knoxas Five Medals Brother are to be two of the Hostages and two others whose names I did not hear are to be taken into the State of Ohio or left in charge of the Friendly Indians until a final peace takes place upon a General counsel to be held at some convenient time hereafter - I saw the British officers we had taken Maj. Chambers Col. Evans of the 41st Regt. Maj. Muir and several Captains & subalterns who with countenances externally cheerful exhibit a gloom which overshadows all. Detroit, when we entered it on the 30th of September was desolate & exhibited every mark of distress & decay - Now everything is in motion life and activity pervades every countenance & the vacant houses fast filling up, even improvements are beginning to be made and a constant Bustle of Business every where & various articles of the country appear for the market at the River side, a glorious change in a few days! When the savage Monsters stalked unmolested with human scalps round them and broke open and robbed in every house their pleasure choosed, not even sparing the innocent fair; some of whom were dragged by the devils out of their parents houses for the purpose of Brutal violation, a change so sudden must give great consolation to the feeling heart. Col. Rh. M. Johnson arrived after dark being detained in a boat by contrary winds that have blown up the river for several days. Capt. Elijah Craig died of a slight wound he receaved in his should on the 4th Inst. at the Forks of the river & Bridge.

Oct. 15th -- The anniversary of my matrimonial knot, far remote from scenes of domestic Happiness a remembrance of past winter presses upon us - cloudy and raining. We receaved orders that we might march to the River Rouche and encamp and await for orders. The Ottowa nation came into Detroit and met Genl. Harrison in counsel and agreed to the same conditions that the others had on yesterday. The Indians are fast removing away & I hope in God that our western citizens will be relived in future from their Murderous Bucheries and that peace with key Golden wings will hover over us in all our borders. The evening is clear and pleasant, heaven and nature smiles, and may our Return home be as happy & propitious as all our movements heretofore.
     We receaved orders from Genl. Harrison that we might move our camp down to the River Rouche, 3 miles from the Spring well, but having to draw provisions and make some necessary arrangements I concluded not to move with my company until morning.

Oct. 16th -- A clear frosty morning - at daylight we left our encampment and marched by companies to the River Rouce, five or six of my men taking a boat round to the mouth of the River and up to the crossing place, ehre we crossed our horses in a keel boat and an old flat, and halted on the south side and waited for Maj. Payne to bring orders from Genl. Harrison as to our destination. We lay in camp till near night and then sent Thos. Curry an express back to Detroit to see what detained the Majr. and then we moved on to the River De Corn three miles farther and campt all night in a fine pasture field. We had a good many sick and it rained at night and was disagreeable. Majr. Payne arrived at Dark with the Genls. thanks to us and an honorable discharge with time until the 20th of November to Return home and which diffused General satisfaction.

Oct. 17th -- Started early the whole Regt. Col. Rh. M. & James Johnson with the sick and wounded staid at Detroit and were to Return by water to Lower Sandusky. We marched on to Brownstown ten miles passing chagawgua village at 3 miles, and eat Breakfast at the former, and came on to Huron River. Our bridge was broke and we commenced making rafts to cross when a good ford was discovered about 3/4 miles up where we crossed on horseback and then marched five miles over a swampy bad road to ? River, then 4 miles to Stony creek, then six miles to the river Rezin where arrived, after dark, the whole of my company coming up. J. McIntire was near dying with the colie - Lieut. Cardwell brought him up to camp which was at our former encampment. We got oats for our horses and the French inhabitants are returning fast to their deserted houses, where I hope peace and plenty will once more cheer the hearts of the solitary wanderer.
     Gov. Shelby's troops had buried the bones of the slain of the 22nd & 23rd of January last. Great God protect our armies from similar massacres in the futures.

Oct. 18th -- In the morning got plenty of peaches from the orchards at the River Rezin and marched early each company taking command of itself. Majr. Payne was with us - we passed our former encampment at Otter Creek at 11 o'clock and eat breakfast at the first creek this side, making a fire for that purpose out of an Indian Camp - then two miles to Swan Creek and marched and got back to Fort Meigs about one hour by sun in the evening and drew three days Rations of Bacon Flour & Whiskey - we encamped about half a mile above our former encampment in the Island on the South side of the Miami river my whole company up - clear frosty night after a rainy evening.

Oct. 19th -- Marched at sunrise, took Hulls road up the bottom-open prararie on the River three miles then three up the river and out three miles to open wet swampy prararie land then woods and open ground fifteen miles to Portage River & Mud Blockhouse on the south side of the same which was deserted by a company of Ohio Malitia & burned by the Indians during the last seige of Fort Meigs - We eat breakfast at this place, then three miles to swamp, then five miles to large creek a branch of Portage River, then up the creek five miles to a short bend where we crossed the creek and campt on the Bank all night and cut Beech brush for our horses - my company not all up. I this morning gave the Head of each Mess or sub-division an order separately to draw provisions. J. Springate very sick.

Oct. 20th -- Started very early - kept up a large creek on our right ten miles, five miles of which swampy road, then crossed the creek then five miles thro open woods and a Hurricane of fallen timber to Blanchards fork of the Auglaize then one mile down it to Fort Finly on the south side of this river where we had a mean Ohio Commissary who refused to issue rations without the utmost formality - we left this Fort and kept up Branchards fork thru fine rich land thirteen miles to a large encampment of Hull then crossed it and came four miles to a small branch and campt all night, only four Messes of us together - we again fed our horses on Beech brush but had fine clear weather.

Oct. 21st -- Started at light marching two miles to Hulls fort Necessity then nine miles to the waters of the Scioto, we crossed several small creeks and fine land, then 3 miles to the main Scioto at McArthurs Blockhouses and fort a miserable small muddy place, here we eat Breakfast and draw rations, we passed seventy or eighty waggons this day that had taken provisions to Fort Meigs, from this fort five miles muddy road then three miles fine land and good road then four miles swampy to the first fork of the Big Miami, a small creek, then one mile to the next fork then 3/4 of a mile fine road to Solomans town, a small place we passed thro on our way home last summer, we kept on and got to Manarys Blockhouse at dark where we got oats and Hay for our horses, we campt all night a half mile this side at a small branch quite fatigued and weary here it is a settled country, it snowed in the night, but a good tent protected us.

Oct. 22nd -- In the morning snowing. I returned early to Manarys Blockhouse to make returns of my company to draw rations and forage. My Mess all but Thos. Curry started for home and I waited in camp with Maj. Payne until eleven o'clock & in the meantime a number of my company came up and I then came eleven mo Mad River and one mile to Mr. Moses McIlvaines where we put up for the night it was about 3 o'clock in the evening - Mrs. McIlvaine is a fine smart woman, time glides smoothly along.

Oct. 23rd -- Majr. Payne left us and I staid at Mr. McIlvaines until ten o'clock then came on to Urbanna 8 miles and waited for the coming up of my company until late in the evening when the greater part came up and I left Returns to draw rations & forage and then came on to Springfield 14 miles not finding a convenient place to stay at sooner it was after dark and raining we put up at Mr. Hunts.

Oct. 24th -- Started early after paying extravagently for our lodging - we crossed the Yellow Spring creek half a mile above the Spring, then past Smyths Mill on Beaver creek and staid the night at a Mr. Stepps twelve miles beyond Lebanon it rained nearly all day and at night very disagreeable, we were here treated with the greatest hospitality in the old Virginia style, this man had felt and known the wants of soldiers.

Oct. 25th -- Started early and got to Lebanon at nine o'clock and left Returns for my company to draw Rations and forage then on three miles this side to Breakfast where we were treated with great Respect we then came on to the forks of the road from Cincinnati to Dayton and staid all night at a little place called New Philadelphia and met with excellent fare.

Oct. 26th -- Up and soon got to Cincinnati early in the day & procured some necessarys & made arrangements for drawing then crossed the River in company with a number of my men and came on to Gaines on the Dry Ridge twenty miles this side of the Ohio, it was two hours after night.

Oct. 27th -- Came on to Nelsons 3/4 of a mile from the foot of the dry ridge and

Oct. 28th -- Raining all day came on twleve miles this side of Georgetown and met Andrew McFatritch with a horse for me.

Oct. 29th -- Got to Mr. Coleman to Breakfast then on to Versailles and crossed the Ferry at McCouns and got to S. McAfees to Dinner, then home at sundown where I found family in health peace and quietness, which is a solacing scene to a man returning from the hurry of Business & tumult of a Camp.

There were no entries for Oct. 30 or Oct. 31.

  • Go to Muster Roll of Robt. B. McAfee's Company

  • Transcriber's Notes:

    1: Robert B. McAfee's entry for Oct. 5 describes the Battle of Thames (also called the Battle of Moraviantown), which was a pivotal battle in the War of 1812, and a resounding victory for American troops. The battle was precipitated by an attack by British and Indian forces on Fort Meigs in Ohio the preceding April (which McAfee only alludes to in reference to the treatment of prisoners taken during that attack). For more information on the events leading up to and during this battle, the following websites may be of interest:

    Updated 18 Oct 2008. This transcription is copyrighted by . It may be freely used for non-commercial purposes and family research, but must not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the transcriber.