* A portrait has been posted on-line at http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~westklic/wcportrait.html
ANDY M. ALLEN, proprietor of a feed yard at The Dalles, Wasco county, is a native Oregonian, having been born in Polk county, January 23, 1848. He is the son of James M. and Hannah J. (Riggs) Allen, the father a native of Missouri, the mother of Illinois. The father was a descendant of the old colonial family of Allens, of Revolutionary fame, a prominent member of the family having been Ethan Allen, commander of the "Green Mountain Boys." The parents of our subject came to Oregon in what was known as the "Meeks Cut-Off Train." Losing their way they suffered many hardships, but were, fortunately, well provisioned. Following various locations in the territory of Oregon the family finally removed to what was then Wasco county, settling near Prineville, where James M. Allen built a flouring mill, the first in what is now Crook county, with the exception of the Indian Agency mill. Disposing of this property later he removed to Fifteen Mile, erected another mill, which is now owned by J.A. Guilliford, mentioned elsewhere, and resided in Boyd until his death. The mother of our subject died on the old home farm in Polk county, in 1860.
In the district schools of his neighborhood our subject was prepared for Monmouth College, but owing to an illness covering three years he did not enter that educational institution. At the age of twenty-five years he married and began life for himself. He taught school, was engaged in farming and stock raising in Crook county, and purchased an interest from his father in the mill at Prineville. In the latter town he taught the first school. Mr. Allen is an expert accountant, and was, at different times, bookkeeper for several firms successively. Father and son disposed of the mill at Boyd about 1882, and our subject then purchased a farm on lower Fifteen Mile Creek, four miles below Boyd, comprising one hundred and sixty acres, also filing on an adjoining quarter section. Here he remained nine years, sold the property and in 1890 came to The Dalles, where for ten years he was employed in clerking. Subsequently he became interested in horses, began training them, and followed the circuit over the northwest, and is at present the best known horse trainer in the state. In March, 1902, our subject, with a partner, purchased the old Brooks and Beers feed yard, and now have the oldest established institution of this kind in The Dalles. In May, 1904, our subject purchased the interest owned by his partner.
Our subject was married in June, 1871, at Prineville, to Cynthia A. Butler, born in Illinois, the daughter of Elijah and Sarah E. (Lucas) Butler, both deceased. The wife of our subject died February 27, 1876, at Prineville. The second marriage of our subject took place at Boyd, when he was united to Lucy A. Smith, a native of Lane county, Oregon. She is the daughter of Henry and Sophia (Cook) Smith, the father a native of Iowa, the mother of Oregon. The father is deceased, the mother lives in Oregon City. Mr. Allen has four brothers: Albert, of Crook county; John, the same; Isaac M., a glass manufacturer in Indiana; and Elam, in the stock business in Wallowa county; and three sisters -- Ellen, wife of Hardy Holman, of Dallas, Oregon, justice of the peace and ex-county sheriff; Nancy, married to James Crawford, of Pendleton, Oregon; and Pauline, wife of James A. Bradley, Anatone, Washington. Our subject has ten children: Sylba, wife of D.D. Bolton, and Glenn O., by his first wife; and Mable, wife of John Miller; Owen, Edith, Mernie, Wayne, Delta, Gladys, and Uarda, by his second marriage.
Fraternally Mr. Allen is a member of the I.O.O.F., having been an Odd Fellow thirty-five years, past grand of Ocheco Lodge, No. 46, Prineville, and many times a delegate to the grand lodge. He is a Republican, and has been delegate to county conventions and clerk of election. Mrs. Allen has three brothers, C. Sumner. Henry G., and William L., and one sister, Cornelia, a widow living at Oregon City.
Submitted to the Oregon Bios. Project in January 2005 by Jeffrey L. Elmer. Submitter has no additional information about the person(s) or family mentioned above.