- Archives, Libraries and Societies
- Biographies, Genealogies, and Local History
- Cemeteries, Funeral Homes, and Obituaries
- Churches and Religious Groups
- Genealogy Forums for Cowlitz County
- Maps, Gazetteers and Civic Information
- Native American links
- Newspapers and Publications
Archives, Libraries, and Societies
Cowlitz County RecordsThe Cowlitz County Auditor's Office has the following records available for genealogists:
- Death records: July 23, 1891 through March 17, 1907.
- Birth records: June 4, 1891 through May 1, 1907.
- Marriage records: 1867 - present
- Land Documents from late 1800's
The Cowlitz County Health Department has birth records from 1922-present. Death records are only available for the past 60 days. Please see their website for information on ordering records. For death records more than 2 months old, contact the Washington State Dept. of Health.
Birth certificates (1907-present), Death certificates (1907-present) and Marriage certificates (1968-present) are also available from the Washington State Dept. of Health. See their website for ordering information.
Probate records are held by the Cowlity County Superior Court Clerk's Office. Please see their website for contact information to inquire about specific records.
|Cowlitz County Auditor's Office
207 4th Ave. N.
Kelso, WA 98626
Toll Free: 1-877-400-7687
|Cowlitz County Vital Records
1952 9th Ave
Longview, WA 98632
|Cowlity County Clerk's Office
Hall of Justice, Room 233
312 S.W. First Avenue
Kelso, WA 98626
|Cowlitz County Historical Society/Museum
405 Allen St.
Kelso, WA 98626
|Lower Columbia Genealogical Society
Post Office Box 472
Longview, WA 98632
The LCGS has made available many Cowlitz Co. records online, including abstracts and indexes to Cemeteries, Censuses, Marriages, Naturalizations, Probates and Wills. Their library collection is housed at the Longview Public Library. The Society will do lookups at the Cowlitz County Courthouse for a small fee - please see their website for more information.
|Castle Rock Visitor's Center
147 Front Ave
Castle Rock WA 98611
Castle Rock's Historical Museum - "a valuable resource for anyone wondering abour Castle Rock" (from Rita Cobb Balch) [The link takes you to the Online Highways site for the Visitor's Center.]
Volunteer Opportunities: Karen Johnson, manager of the Exhibit Hall, is looking for volunteers to help with various projects at the Exhibit Hall, including keeping the hall open to visitors and transcribing obituaries from the Cowlitz County Advocate. If you can help, please contact Karen by or at the above phone number.
|Castle Rock Library
309 W. Cowlitz
Castle Rock, WA 98611
312 N. 1st St.
Kalama, WA 98625
|Kelso Public Library
314 Academy St.
Kelso, WA 98626
|Longview Public Library
Longview, WA 98632
|Family History Center--Longview Ward
1721 30th Ave.
Longview, WA 98632-3404
See the WASGS's FHC page for more information (hours, holdings, etc.) (note: information may be outdated - contact the FHC directly for current info.)
|Washington State Archives--Southwestern Branch
P.O. Box 40238
1129 Washington St. SE
Olympia, WA 98504-0238
- The National Archives-Pacific NW Branch
6125 Sand Point Way NE
Seattle, Washington 98115
Check out their web page for hours, direction, and information on holdings. Or check out the some of microfilm publications at the Seattle branch of the NARA (hosted by the Tacoma-Pierce County Genealogical Society).
- The Washington State Genealogical Society has an excellent Resource Guide for Cowlitz County (this link will open up a PDF file).
- The Tacoma Public Library's Northwest Reading Room is another excellent genealogy collection; some resources, including a Ships and Shipping databases, and archived obituaries, are already online!
- The Tacoma-Pierce County Genealogical Society has an excellent, detailed listing of resources for research in the greater Puget Sound area.
- Were you a patient at St. John's Hospital, Cowlitz General, or Monticello Medical, all in Longview? Did you know you can obtain copies of your records? To learn more, go HERE.
Biographies, Genealogies and Local History
- Visit the Cowlitz County Biographies - part of the Cowlitz Co. GenWeb project.
- Cowlitz County Family Genealogies and Photos - part of the Cowlitz Co. GenWeb project.
- Cowlitz County Logging Industry - part of the Cowlitz Co. GenWeb project.
- "Classics in Washington History", part of the Office of the Secretary of State's Historical Records Project, has posted images from the complete three-volume set, "Soldiers of the Great War," along with other military records from World War I.
- Kelso Letters - 1888 - written by May Sturgess. Posted on the American Local History Network.
- A list of Victims of the 1980 Mt. St. Helens Eruption, some with genealogical details, can be found at this site.
- Another article on the Mt. St. Helens eruption, writte for HistoryLink.org.
- "1914 Clatsop County, Oregon, Voters Born in Finland Who Were Naturalized or Declared Their Intent in Other Counties" - even though this list applies to Clatsop Co., OR, there are a number of Finnish immigrants listed here who were either naturalized in, or declared their intent to naturalize in Cowlitz Co.
- The Tacoma Public Library has a fascinating site called Unsettling Events - about the less-pleasant aspects of Washington State History. For example, learn about Yacolt Burn.
- Pioneer Galloway Families in the Pacific Northwest, compiled by Clyde Senger.
- Hughes-Bemis & Evans-Thor(e)son Families - Roger Hughes's family database, including many Cowlitz/Castle Rock/etc. family connections. Relevant surnames in the database include: Bemis, Brewer, Bush, Conlee, Davidson, Davis, Dykeman, Fleming, Gardner, Goodnight, Gumm, Hendrickson, Huntington, Ingerson, Koontz, Miller, Moore, Nutting, Olson, Peabody, Powelson, Robbins, Royer, Schwartz, Shintaffer, Stock, Storm, Studebaker, Vanderford, Wolf, Woolford.
- "Huntington Family in the Pacific Northwest" - Huntington genealogy from Julie Kidd.
- Harlan Pittelkau maintains The Pittelkau Family Page, including the history of Pittelkaus who settled in Cowlitz Co.
- The following Cowlitz County-related surnames are found at sites containing on-line gedcoms: Conradi, Graves/Fraser descendants, Rulifson, Runyan.
- Cowlitz County Historic Bridges: Photos of the Longview and Yale Bridges. Not exactly genealogy-related, but an interesting diversion (especially if your ancestor helped build these bridges!)
Cemeteries, Funeral Homes, and Obituaries
- NEW!: The Longview Public Library now hosts an obituary index for Kalama, Kelso and Longview newspapers for the years 1871-2011. Obituaries can be copied in person at the library, or by filling out the request form on the website. Fee is just $1 per request. Thank you to the Longview Public Library and Lower Columbia Genealogical Society for making this resource available!
- Cowlitz View Memorial Park
1535 Mt. Brynion Road, Kelso, WA 98626 (cemetery location)
PO Box 7, Kelso, WA 98626 (mailing address)
- Green Hills Memorial Gardens
1939 Mt. Brynion Road, Kelso, WA 98626
- Longview Memorial Park
5050 Mt. Solo Road, Longview, WA 98632 (cemetery location)
PO Box 217, Longview, WA 98632 (mailing address)
- Cowlitz County Cemetery District No. 2
Cemeteries in their jurisdiction: Frank Abel Cemetery, IOOF Memorial Cemetery (Woodland), Lone Pine Memorial Cemetery and Yale Memorial Cemetery
PO Box 673, Woodland, WA 98674
- Cowlitz County Cemetery District No. 6
Cemeteries in their jurisdiction: Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, Rose Valley Cemetery and Voight Family Cemetery
- Cowlitz County Cemetery Records posted on this website.
- Cowlitz County Cemeteries - comprehensive listing on the US GenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project site. Some cemetery transcription are available online.
- Additional cemetery transcriptions for Cowlitz County are available at Interment.Net - cemeteries listed include Hubbard, IOOF (Castle Rock), Jackson, Meadowview, Oak Point, Smith-Tucker, Tower Road, Tower Township and Whittle.
- Associated Catholic Cemeteries has a SEARCHABLE database of people buried in their cemeteries. (Please note that in order to search their database, you must provide your name and email address.) They also maintain a list of Archdiocesean and parish cemeteries in Western Washington, including Cowlitz County.
- If a political figure is buried in Cowlitz County, then he or she will be listed in Political Graveyard - Cowlitz Co..
- FuneralNet has a listing of 20,000 funeral homes across the U.S. Search this page to find funeral homes in Cowlitz County.
- The Tacoma Public Library has a searchable obituaries page taken from the Tacoma News Tribune. These obituaries inlcude not only Pierce County, but also some Cowlitz County entries.
Churches and Religious Groups
- Church of Christ: Pioneer History of Churches in Cowlitz Co., Washington includes information on early Cowlitz Co. settlers and pictures of early churches.
- Episocpal: Episcopal Church of Western Washington, Olympia Diocese maintains a complete list of Episcopal congregations Washington, including Cowlitz County.
- Roman Catholic: For Catholic parishes in Cowlitz County and Western Washington, search the Archdiocese of Seattle database.
- The Archdiocese of Seattle Archives and Records Management office maintains Catholic sacramental and academic records. Joshua Zimmerman, Archivist, provided the following information: "Catholic sacramental records have been a rich source for researchers in the past. We are hoping to expand some of the resources that we offer genealogists. For instance, we have an inventory to our sacramental records (i.e. what registers we have) as well as a name index for our early sacramental records. These early registers contain sacraments of Native Americans in the area. Our records are only of parishes in Western Washington and we don't have all the registers. Some are still located at the parishes, but we can get genealogists where they want to go if they drop us a line."
Genealogy Forums for Cowlitz County
- Cowlitz Co., GenWeb queries - place your Cowlitz County Query here, or read previously-posted queries.
- Join the WACOWLIT-L email discussion list for Cowlitz County genealogy - for more information, check this page.
- The Cowlitz County, WA Genealogy Forum is a bulletin-board system hosted by GenForum (in partnership with FamilyTreeMaker).
- Cowlitz Co., WA Message Board - the Rootsweb message board for Cowlitz County.
Native American links
- Cowlitz Tribe - their official website.
- Governor's Office of Indian Affairs Tribal Information - check the Tribal Directy (PDF file) for information on the Cowlitz tribe, and other Washington-area tribes.
- Kevin Fraley transcribed the major Indian treaties involving Washington state tribes. Of particular interest is the Medicine Creek Treaty, which involves tribes from the Lewis/Cowlitz County area.
Newspapers and Publications
- Cowlitz County Newspapers - my listing of all newspapers known to exist in Washington state libraries and archives.
- The Longview Daily News is the online version of its newspaper which serves Longview and Cowlitz County (access to obituaries now requires a paid subscription).
- Washington Online Highway's site for Cowlitz County.