Newspaper Articles about Hill Logging Company
Rich Detering is researching the history of the Hill Logging Company and the logging/saw mill industry in and around Bunker in Lewis Co., WA. He contributed the following information and transcription of news articles, and is interested in learning more about the company:
The founder and principle investor of Hill Logging Co was Charles O. Hill of Portland, OR. Captain Hill gained fame (and notoriety) as a steamboat owner, operator and pilot on the Columbia & Willamette rivers in the period 1880-1900. A side note: Captain Hill's wife Minnie (Mossman) Hill achieved fame in her own right as the first woman steamboat captain west of the Mississippi. [Editor's note: Patricia Davidson-Peters has a website dedicated to Minnie (Mossman) Hill that includes photos and other information.]
Harold "Harry" J. Syverson was the first manager of Hill Logging Co., and started the town of Bunker. He also claimed to have founded the town of Littell (as described in the first newspaper article below). He died in 1931 in Portland, OR - see his obituary for more information.
Harry Syverson was replaced as manager of Hill Logging Co. by William J. Redmond. Redmond was the brother-in-law of Charles Hill's wife, Minnie. Interestingly, he was a pilot with Hill on the Gov Newell on the Columbia River. C. O. Hill was president, and William J. Redmond was secretary of Oak Point Piling & Lumber Co., where Fred Mars, the Hill Logging Co. bookkeeper, worked before coming to Bunker. In 1922, Redmond started the Klaber Lumber Company with R. H. Nodes. More information on William J. Redmond is included in an article on his 50th wedding anniversary and his obituary.
Newspaper articles compiled from newspaperARCHIVE.com database. The completeness of this collection is only as good as the capability of newspaperARCHIVE.com search engines to find keywords associated with the Hill Logging Company. The accuracy of these news stories has not been independently authenticated.
From searching the newspaper archives it appears that the shingle mill associated with the Hill Logging Co's sawmill at Bunker was called Bunker Shingle Company. There is a listing for Bunker Shingle Company at Bunker, on page 19 of Washington public documents, Volume 1 By Washington (State) and page 27 Biennial Report By Washington (State). Office of the Secretary of State. (Both available in Google Books.) The newspaper articles I've found referencing Bunker Shingle Co. are vague at best.
The Centralia Daily Chronicle, October 26, 1912
TO LAUNCH BIG LOGGING ENTERPRISE
HARRY SYVERSON OF ADNA TO BE HEAD OF BIG COMPANY TO OPERATE IN COUNTY
100,000,000 FEET OF FINEST TIMBER IN WASHINGTON HAS ALREADY BEEN SECURED
Harry [Harold J.] Syverson of Adna is the manager of what will be one of the largest logging enterprises in this vicinity when all preparations have been made and work actually started. Which will be in a comparatively short time. Already over 100,000,000 feet of some of the finest timber in Washington has been secured, the money outlay being upwards of $200,000. Capt. C. O. Hill of Portland is one of the principal backers of the project. Also other Portland and San Francisco capital is interested.
The location of the operations is on Bunker creek and Deep creek two miles west of Adna. Five miles of logging road will be built. The market for the logs will be Willapa harbor and other places, the harbor taking most of them. Grading for the road will begin in a few days. More timber which is available will be secured later.
Recent changes at the Adna station will be in keeping with the progress the place is now making and also to take care of the added business the new logging concern will make. The Northern Pacific agent there, Mr. Illick, has been advised that Adna has been advanced to a telegraph station. Telegraph instruments will be installed immediately.
The Centralia Daily Chronicle, October 30, 1912Local: Dr. H. L. Petit, formerly city physician of Chehalis, has been awarded the contract as doctor of the camp to be put in by the Hill logging company near Adna.
The Centralia Daily Chronicle, November 14, 1912
BIG LOGGING COMPANY IS ORGANIZED
$200,000 ADNA LOGGING CONCERN FORMED YESTERDAY AFTERNOON - BIG DEAL
LOGGING ROAD BEING BUILT AND OPERATIONS TO BE STARTED BY FEB. 1, 1913
The big $200,000 logging company of Adna, six miles west of Chehalis, was organized yesterday afternoon. Capt. C. O. Hill of Portland, the principal backer, and associates, arrived from Portland and were met at the station by Harry Syverson, the manager, and taken to Adna by auto.
This company's operations will bring many thousands of dollars into Chehalis and Centralia in the course of a year. The logging railroad is now being built and by February 1st logging operations will be started, according to Manager Syverson.
The personnel of the officers is not known except that Captain Hill will be president and Mr. Syverson secretary and manager.
The Centralia Daily Chronicle, November 15, 1912
TO START NEW TOWN IN COUNTY
NEWLY APPOINTED MANAGER OF HILL LOGGING COMPANY TO START TOWN OF BUNKER
WILL BE LOCATED IN BUNKER CREEK FEW MILES FROM ADNA – POSTOFFICE THERE SOON
Harry [Harold J.] Syverson, newly appointed manager of the Hill Logging Company, which will carry on extensive logging operations near Adna, seems to have a knack of starting new towns. He claims to have founded Littell, and his mill was the beginning of Adna, and now he is in the act of forming another community, which will be known as Bunker, named for John Bunker, for whom the creek of the same name is called.
It is at the mouth of this creek that the station will be located and if the present plans of Mr. Syverson do not go astray there will also be a postoffice there in the very near future.
The Hill Logging company was incorporated for $150,000 fully paid. Two and a half miles of 60 pound steel have been ordered and to begin with five donkey engines will he used. As soon as they can be installed, there after, three more donkeys will be added, which will enable the company to handle 250,000 feet of logs per day. This means that there will be a crew of approximately 125 men with a monthly payroll of $16,000. This of course, after operations have been fully established which will be sometime next February.
The Centralia Daily Chronicle, January 1, 1913
HILL LOGGING CO. IS PROGRESSING
Five carloads of steel have been received at the Chehalis freight depot consigned to the Hill Logging Company, a big corporation recently organized for the purpose of carrying on extensive logging operations in the vicinity of Bunker Creek. The steel will be used for the new logging road being constructed from the seat of operations to Adna. Track laying will begin within the next few days. One of the projects planed in connection with the big enterprise is the locating of a townsite on Bunker Creek. The town will be named Bunker, after John Bunker, one of the early settlers of the county. An application for a postoffice will be made to the postoffice department as soon as work has progressed further.
Centralia Daily Chronicle-Examiner, January 18, 1913
THREE NEW MILLS IN LEWIS CO
Within the comparatively near future it is expected that Lewis county will have two new mills, which will give employment to a large force of men. The locations have been determined by the formation of the Hill Logging company of Adna, a $200,000 concern. Chester Snow of Littell has purchased a site some two miles west of Adna on which a sawmill of possibly 50,000 feet per ten hours capacity will be erected. The plans for the mill are being prepared now. Mr. Snow is in the mercantile business in Littell and is in a position to make a success of his new venture. Then the company, of which J. P. Guerrier of this city, is the western head, is contemplating the construction of one of the largest shingle mills in this part of the state on the Hill Logging Company's logging road. This concern has contracted for all cedar cut by the logging company.
Centralia Daily Chronicle-Examiner, February 25, 1913
LOGGING CO. WILL BEGIN OPERATIONS
HILL LOGGING COMPANY TO BEGIN SHIPPING LOGS IN NEAR FUTURE -- GOOD LOG ROAD.
The Hill Logging Company, recently incorporated for the purpose of carrying on extensive logging operations in Lewis County, will soon be shipping logs from its camp seven miles west of Chehalis. Over a mile of logging road has been constructed which will connect the camp with the main line at Adna. The logging road has a good grade as any line.
Centralia Daily Chronicle-Examiner, March 1, 1913
HURT IN DYNAMITE EXPLOSION
FOREMAN AND TWO GREEKS INJURED IN PREMATURE EXPLOSION OF DYNAMITE NEAR ADNA — ONE MAY DIE.
An almost fatal explosion of dynamite occurred yesterday on the logging road of the Hill Logging Co. near Deep Creek, about eight miles west of Chehalis. The foreman, Sam Churchill, and two Greek laborers were seriously injured, being later removed to a hospital In Chehalis. It is feared that one of the Greeks will die as a result of his injuries. The details of the explosion are meager. It is understood that a charge of dynamite was being placed in clearing a roadway, and that a premature explosion occurred. The Hill Logging Company was only recently organized for the purpose of carrying on extensive logging operations near Adna.
Centralia Daily Chronicle-Examiner, March 14, 1913
TO BEGIN SHIPPING OF LOGS
HILL LOGGING COMPANY MAKING PREPARTIONS TO SHIP 200,000,000 FEET OF TIMBER TO HARBOR.
The Hill Logging Company Is preparing to begin the shipment of logs from their camp near Adna to the harbor. The company expects to ship 200,000,000 feet, and has ordered a number of especially constructed cars for the timber, some of which have already been delivered to them.
Centralia Daily Chronicle-Examiner, April 23, 1913
EXTENSIVE IMPROVING AT BUNKER
NEW TOWN ON HILL LOGGING COMPANY'S ROAD GROWING RAPIDLY -- POSTOFFICE IS PETITIONED FOR.
Extensive improvements are being made at Bunker, the proposed new postoffice and town on the South Bend branch, where the Hill Logging Company has its headquarters. Those who are familiar with the country west of Adna know where the home of Henry Dupertius, the well known logged-off land booster, is located. A short distance from his home is a railroad bridge across the Chehalis River over which the South Bend branch trains pass daily. On the west side of the river at this bridge the Hill Logging Company has one of the neatest camps for such work to be found in the northwest. The general view at this point is scenic indeed. The county wagon road which leads around the Boistfort hill, and which under the state law has now become a part of the National Park highway leading to Pacific county, passes the Dupertius home which is on the hillside. The railroad bridge is hundreds of feet below the wagon road. Upon the hillside where the wagon road winds its way is one of the most picturesque scenes to be found in Lewis county. The wagon road has been built along a ledge where the solid rock was blasted out for it. On the side next to the river a portion of the way a concrete wall serves as a protection to keep the vehicles from going over into the river.
A short distance from this burst of scenic beauty. Chester Snow is making some extensive improvements. Five cottages are being built for renting purposes and it is stated that he will also erect a store at that point. The cottages are neat and well built and are to be used by men employed in the logging camp. Mr. Snow was formerly in business at Littell, but recently sold out his store. George Russell's home is located across the road from the Snow buildings. Near by is a new house and other very creditable improvements made by B. S. Frazier who some time ago bought 70 acres of fine land from Joel Fay. All in all, the lumber of buildings in sight gives an appearance of there being quite a settlement at that point.
Up toward the top of the Boistfort hill Luther Cunningham is just, completing a neat cottage on a tract of land recently purchased from B.A. Bartholomew. Mr. Cunningham's mother also has a new cottage alongside and soon the work of clearing up more land developing the country will be under way there.
Centralia Daily Chronicle-Examiner, July 7, 1913
TO LOCATE POSTOFFICE AT BUNKER
POSTOFFICK DEPARTMENT ORDERS OPENING OF OFFICE AT NEW TOWN OF BUNKER CREEK NORTHWEST OF ADNA.
Postmaster John Benedict Jr., today announced that the postoffice department had ordered the opening of a postoffice at Bunker, the new town recently located on Bunker Creek a few miles northwest of Adna by the Hill Logging Company. The new town, which has railroad connections, is growing rapidly and the new office will be greatly welcomed by the residents
Centralia Daily Chronicle-Examiner, October 3, 1913
WILL BUILD NEW MILL ON BUNKER CREEK
CHARLES WAKEFIELD AND ASSOCIATES TO OPERATE MILL WITH 150,000 CAPACITY ON BUNKER CREEK
Charles Wakefield, of Dryad, and several business associates, will immediately begin the erection of a new mill on Bunker Creek, the new concern to have a daily capacity of 150,000 feet. A contract has been closed with the Hill Logging Company to cut all of the latter's logs, and the new mill will be located alongside the logging company's spur up Bunker Creek. The mill will be constructed so that additional machines can be added and the capacity of the mill increased at any time.
Centralia Daily Chronicle-Examiner, November 7, 1913
NEW MILLS GOING UP ON BRANCH
CHARLES W. WAKEFIELD TELLS OF PROGRESS BEING MADE IN MILL CONSTRUCTION ON SO. BEND BRANCH.
Charles W. Wakefield, the well known mill man of Dryad, who is building a shingle mill on Bunker Creek, was in the city this week and told of the progress being made on the mills that are being erected on he South Bend line. Of his own mill at Bunker Creek, Mr. Wakefield said that the foundation was all in, and the frame was now going up rapidly. Mr. Wakefield plans to have his mill running some time before the Logging company finishes building its new mill which adjoins the Wakefield mill. The shingle mill, he said, will be running before the first of the year.
The Hill Logging Company, however, is working rapidly on the new mill and has the piling all driven ready to begin erecting the frame. The new saw mill will have a capacity of between 50,000 and 60,000 to begin with, but the building and steam plant will be made with the view to later increasing it to 100,000. The same may be said of the Wakefield shingle mill. The mill will have a capacity of about 150,000 a day to begin with, but Mr. Wakefield is installing a steam plant that will carry more machines at any time they are put in and will build a dry kiln large enough to handle 300,000 shingles a day. Then if the timber plies up or if business increases so that there is a demand for the product two shifts can be put on or more machines Installed.
Mr. Wakefield spoke of the rapidity with which the Chester Snow shingle mill at Littell was going up. He said that the frame for the building was practically completed when he passed Littell Wednesday and that from all appearances work was being rushed to the utmost.
The building of these mills along the South Bend line means much in a business way for it greatly increases the pay rolls in the country that is tributary to this city. Every Saturday night the loggers and mill workers from the towns along the branch far out as Walville come to this city in hundreds, remaining until Sunday evening. These men buy nearly all their clothing and supplies in Chehalis stores and their trade is great help to local business.
Centralia Daily Chronicle-Examiner, August 10, 1914
NEW HEAD OF LOGGING CO.
HARRY SYVERSON RESIGNS AS MANAGER OF BUNKER CHEEK CONCERN TO ENTER NEW COMPANY FORMING TO OPERATE IN VICINITY OF OAK POINT — W. J. REDMOND SUCCEEDS HIM.
Harry Syverson, who for several years past, has been manager of the Hill Logging Company, operating extensively in the vicinity of Bunker,four miles west of Adna, has resigned his position; and gone to a new company which Is being organized to operate in the vicinity of Oak Point, in Cowlitz county, in which Mr. Syverson has an interest. W. J. Redmond succeeds Mr. Syverson as manager of the Hill interests, being already in active charge.
The Hill Company recently started up big camps on Bunker and Deep Creeks, where it is preparing to operate more extensively than ever before. In connection with the Bunker camp, a large sawmill is now being completed within 200 yards of the mill of J.F. Loughran, destroyed by fire last week.
First Logs Shipped.
Last week the first shipment of logs from the now camps went out to Tacoma, 15 cars being included in the shipment. The company has a contract, which will soon become effective; to ship this many logs to one of the Tacoma mills every day. Within a few weeks the two camps will be turning out 30 carloads of logs daily, the other half of the output to go to the Grays Harbor mills.
The purpose of the Hill mill is largely to cut the third grade timber, which does not bring the full market price when shipped. The first and second grades will be shipped out and it is planned to keep cutting third grade to keep the mill running full time.
Saturday the Hill Company shipped from Chehalis to Bunker, several cars of equipment, including four donkey engines and considerable rolling stock, the equipment to be used on the new logging road up Bunker Creek.
J.F. Loughran is preparing to immediately rebuild the 180,000 capacity shingle mill which was destroyed by fire last week. Mr. Loughran has a contract to use all of the cedar cut by the Hill company, the contract to keep his mill busy for four years at least.
Centralia Daily Chronicle-Examiner, May 7, 1915Outing Ship Spars -- Workmen are busy at the Bunker mill getting out ship spars, which will go to New York City. Tuesday an exceptionally good one was turned out 110 feet in length.
Centralia Daily Chronicle-Examiner, September 15, 1915
TO INCREASE ITS CAPITAL
STOCKHOLDERS OF HILL LOGGING CO. WILL MEET IN CHEHALIS ON NOVEMBER 6 TO VOTE ON INCREASE OF CAPITAL STOCK FROM $130,000 TO $300,000.
For the purpose of increasing the capital stock from $150,000 to $300,000 the stockholders of the Hill Logging Co., will hold a meeting in Chehalis on November 6. The concern has extensive timber holdings in the Bunker Creek neighborhood, four miles west of Adna, its timber supply being sufficiently large to enable it to operate for from 25 to 30 years.
Centralia Daily Chronicle-Examiner, October 30, 1915
MILL RUNS FULL FORCE
BOTH SAWMILL AND SHINGLE MILL OF HILL LOGGING CO. AT BUNKER ARE OPERATING FULL CAPACITY—TO INCREASE CAPITAL STOCK—OTHER LUMBER NEWS OF INTEREST.
Both the sawmill and shingle mill of the Hill Logging company at Bunker, four miles west of Adna, are now operating full capacity, the former cutting 60,000 feet a day and the latter about 175,000 shingles. Spars, piling and other big timbers are also being shipped in large quantities. A meeting of the stockholders of the company will be in Chehalis next Saturday for the purpose of voting on an increase of the capital stock from $150,000 to $300,000.
Centralia Daily Chronicle-Examiner, November 12, 1915
MILL CAPITAL INCREASED
STOCKHOLDERS OF HILL LOGGING COMPANY OF BUNKER VOTE TO INCREASE CAPITAL STOCK FROM $150,000 TO $300,000 — STOCKHOLDERS WERE OPTIMISTIC AS TO FUTURE.
The Hill Logging Company, of Bunker, at a meeting in Chehalis voted to increase its capital stock from $150,000 to $300,000. Instead of 1,500 shares, there will be 3,000 shares at $100 each. The company operates a big combination mill at Bunker station, ten miles west of Chehalis. The general tone of the Stockholders who attended the meeting was optimistic as to the future of the timber business.
The Centralia Daily Chronicle, April 15, 1919
Loyal Legion to Meet
ADNA. April 15 — A meeting will be held next Monday [Apr 21, 1919] by the Bunker local of the Loyal Legion, at which new officers will be elected. It is expected that at this time a resolution will be introduced enforcing membership in the Loyal Legion on all employees of the Hill Logging Co.
The Centralia Daily Chronicle, April 16, 1919
BLAZE DESTROYS MILL IN BUNKER
Loss of $100,000 Sustained in Fire That Started at 3:30 o'clock This Morning in Plant of Hill logging Co. — 2,000,000 Feet of Lumber Threatened.
The sawmill of the Hill Logging Co. at Bunker was completely destroyed by a fire of unknown origin that broke out about 3:30 o'clock this morning. At noon the plant was reported to be still blazing, threatening the yards containing 2,000,000 feet of lumber with destruction unless there was a change in the direction of the wind.
The blaze was discovered by the watchman at the mill after the flames had spread to all parts of the plant. It is not known how much of the loss is covered by insurance.
A meeting of the stockholders of the company will held today, at which it will be decided whether or not the mill will be rebuilt.
The Centralia Daily Chronicle, April 17, 1919
Loss Not Covered
BUNKER. April 17. — Only $50,000 of the $100,000 loss sustained yesterday by the Hill Logging Co., when its mill here was destroyed by fire is covered by insurance.
There are 18 stockholders of the company, most of them residents of Portland. The principal owners are C.0.Hill, Z.P.Adams and L.E.Lewis, all of Portland. The company did an extensive business in handling large timbers.
The Centralia Daily Chronicle, April 25, 1919
To Rebuild Mill
ADNA, April 25 — The management of the Hill Logging Co., whose mill at Bunker, west of here, was recently destroyed by fire, has announced that the mill will be rebuilt as soon as the insurance is adjusted.
Construction is expected to begin in about two weeks. The new mill will be more completely equipped than the old plant. About 50 men will be employed. The logging camps of the company are continuing operations.
The Centralia Daily Chronicle, June 11, 1919
Fire Bug Busy
BUNKER, June 11—Fire recently destroyed a large dwelling house here. The house had been formally occupied by F. H. Mars, bookkeeper of the Hill Logging company, and had been vacant about two weeks. It was being refitted and was to have been occupied by Capt. Hill of the company. The fire started in the early morning, and is believed to be of incendiary origin. The big mill here was burned a few weeks ago, and inhabitants suspect a fire bug. The house burned represents a loss of about $3,000, insured.
The Centralia Daily Chronicle, August 9, 1919
Logging Men Fined
Herbert Hill, son of the owner of the Hill Logging Co., and James Hank, employed by the company as foreman, were fined $25 and costs apiece yesterday by Justice P. C Beaufort on charges of operating a railroad locomotive without sufficient spark arresters.
The Chehalis Bee-Nugget, March 9, 1923
HILL LOGGING COMPANY SOLD
BUNKER CREEK LOGGING COMPANY TAKES OVER ALL INTERESTS
12,000,000 FEET MORE TIMBER
Deal Indicates a Greatly Increased Activity in Bunker District — Snow Lumber & Shingle Co. at Littell Interested.
J. H. Dunlop, general manager of the Snow Lumber & Shingle Company of Littell, announced yesterday an important deal whereby the Bunker Creek Logging Company takes over all the interests of the Hill Logging Company in the Deep creek neighborhood. Recently there was incorporated by J. H. Dunlop, J. M. Crawford and George S. Shepard, all of whom are heavily interested in the Snow Lumber & Shingle Company, the Bunker Creek Logging Company, capitalized at $120,000. The logging company is closely allied with the Snow concern. Yesterday's deal includes all the interests of the Hill Logging Company, which has had headquarters for its operations at Bunker, 12 miles west of Chehalis. Incidental to the above deal, the Bunker Creek Logging Company also has purchased 12,000,000 feet of additional timber in the Deep creek section. Logging of other timber in the Deep creek neighborhood, owned by the Snow interests, will begin shortly and later the twelve-million tract will be logged. Mr. Dunlop states that the company plans later to connect the present logging road from Littell with the road previously operated up Bunker creek by the old Hill Logging Company. The logs will be cut at the big sawmill at Littell operated by the Snow Lumber & Shingle Company, insuring a timber supply that will last for years.
The Chehalis Bee-Nugget, January 4, 1924
TO DISSOLVE LOGGING COMPANY.
Petition for the dissolution of the Hill Logging Company has been filled in the Lewis county superior court, its business affairs having been closed. Action looking toward this end was taken at a meeting of stockholders of this corporation last spring. The Hill Logging Company was organized some years ago to log a great tract of timber in the Bunker and Deep creek neighborhoods. Extensive logging operations were carried on for some years and later a sawmill was built at Bunker. Later the timber holdings were sold. C. C. Woodcock is president and A. F. Flegel secretary of the concern. These gentlemen and most of those interested are Portland men.