The following was submitted by: Betty Chinn (2nd great-granddaughter of William L. S. Davolt). Please contact Betty for more information on this family.
=== notes on portrait of William and his wife ===
Irv Huntington's grandparents, William and Catherine Davolt
Hover & Bro. Photographic and Fine ART GALLERY
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
Over Eagle Store
No. 24, North Side Square
Descendants of William Lafayette Studivent DavoltWILLIAM LAFAYETTE STUDIVENT3 DAVOLT (JAMES ADAM2, JOHN ADAM1) was born 16 Dec 1831 in Sullivan, TN, and died 23 Oct 1904 in Portland, Multnomah, OR. He is buried in Catlin Cemetery, Kelso, Cowlitz, WA. He married CATHERINE ARABELLE JONES 14 Feb 1856.
She was born 11 Apr 1837 in Knox, IL, and died 15 Dec 1896 in Cowlitz, WA. She is buried in Catlin Cemetery, Kelso, Cowlitz, WA. Her name appears as "Cathern Davolt" on the cemetery headstone. William and Catherine appear in the 1870 Polk Co, IA Census records under the name "Devault", and in the 1880 Cowlitz Co., WA Census records under the name "Davalt". They moved from Polk Co., IA to Montesano, WA Territory in 1873.
Children of WILLIAM DAVOLT and CATHERINE JONES are:
1. CHARLES HENRY DAVOLT, b. 11 Nov 1856, Henry, IA; d. 13 Jul 1922, Kelso, Cowlitz, WA. He married CLARA LOUISE OLSON 16 Dec 1882 in Freeport, Cowlitz, WA, daughter of OLIFF OLSON and EUNICE HUNTINGTON. She was born 4 Aug 1859 in Monticello, Cowlitz, WA Territory, and died 15 Feb 1940 in Kelso, Cowlitz, WA.
2. LIZZIE ELLEN DAVOLT, b. 21 Jan 1860, Henry, IA; d. 18 Dec 1931, Kelso, Cowlitz, WA. Twin of Lydia Jane Davolt. Also went by the names "Ella" and "Ellen". She married (1) JAMES HENDERSON. She married (2) JAMES MADISON FIDLER 4 Feb 1878 in The Dalles, OR.
3. LYDIA JANE DAVOLT, b. 21 Jan 1860, Henry, IA; d. 16 Aug 1936, Astoria, OR. Twin of Lizzie Ellen. Also went by the names "Jane" and "Jennie". Her funeral was held at the Presbyterian Church in Kelso, WA. She married NOYES HARVEY HUNTINGTON 19 Apr 1883 in Freeport, Cowlitz, WA, son of CHANDLER HUNTINGTON and ARABELLA SMITH. He was born 8 Apr 1852 in Shelby, IN, and died 13 Sep 1890 in Kelso, Cowlitz, WA. Following her marriage to Noyes Huntington, they lived for many years on the Huntington farm which adjoins land on which Longview now stands.
Children of LYDIA DAVOLT and NOYES HUNTINGTON are:
i. CATHERINE ARABELLA HUNTINGTON , b. 21 Jul 1884, Cowlitz, Washington Territory; m. BENJAMIN WATERHOUSE , 15 Oct 1913; b. 1 Feb 1885; d. Jul 1974, OR. Catherine went by the name "Belle".
ii. IRVING STEVENS HUNTINGTON , b. 11 Mar 1886, Freeport, Cowlitz, Washington Territory; d. 24 Feb 1971, Seattle, King, WA; m. AVA GRACE HIBBARD , 1 Dec 1920, Vancouver, WA Clark County; b. 30 Dec 1886, Williamsport, PA; d. 12 May 1965, Seattle, King, WA. Some sources show Irving's birthdate as 3 Mar 1886.
iii. CHESTER NOYES HUNTINGTON , b. 8 Jun 1888, Freeport, Cowlitz, WA; d. 26 Jul 1942, Portland, Multnomah, OR; died at Ptld. Veteran's Hospital; m. (1) HELEN UNKNOWN ; m. (2) DOROTHY UNKNOWN ; m. (3) FLORENCE MEREDITH ; b. 4 Feb 1914; d. 15 Jul 1992, Portland, Multnomah, OR. Chester was also known as "Brick" because of his red hair. Served in the military during 1918. Smoked a pipe. Most photos of him show him with his pipe. Chester Noyes Huntington's widow, Florence Meredith, married Lizzie Ellen Davolt's son William Arthur Fidler. Florence also went by the nickname "Dude".
iv. MARY D. HUNTINGTON , b. 27 Sep 1890; d. 30 Nov 1964, Astoria, OR. Never married. Her brother Irving called her by the nickname "Jane". Was a longtime resident of Kelso, WA, but was living in Astoria at the time of her death.
4. ETTIE DAVOLT , b. 4 Mar 1862, Henry, IA; d. 11 Aug 1938, Portland, Multnomah, OR. Her nickname was Rhoda, Rote, or Rotie. Twin sister to Lettie Davolt.
5. LETTIE DAVOLT , b. 4 Mar 1862, Des Moines, Henry, IA; d. 23 Mar 1956, Tacoma, Pierce, WA; buried in Centralia, Lewis, WA in Mountain View Cemetery. Funeral March 29, 1956. Twin sister to Ettie Davolt. She married REV. EDWIN LINCOLN HUGHES 1 May 1889 in Kelso, Cowlitz, WA, son of THOMAS HUGHES and CHRISTINA RAREY . He was born 3 Jun 1862 in Delaware, Delaware, OH, and died 21 Aug 1927 in Napavine, Lewis, WA; buried in Centralia, Lewis, WA. Edwin Hughes was a Methodist circuit preacher, and later the postmaster for Napavine, Lewis, WA. Lettie Hughes was a member of the Methodist church and Rebekah lodge at Napavine, Lewis, WA.
6. GEORGE FRANKLIN DAVOLT , b. 9 Dec 1865, Des Moines, Henry, IA; d. 15 Feb 1948, Kelso, Cowlitz, WA. He married LULU ARABELLE OLSON 14 Dec 1892 in Freeport, Cowlitz, WA; at Capt. O. Olson's home, daughter of OLIFF OLSON and EUNICE HUNTINGTON . She was born 9 Mar 1871 in Freeport, Cowlitz, WA. Also went by the name "Belle". Rev. Tom Reese, pastor of Kelso Methodist Church, officiated at their wedding.
7. JAMES WALTER DAVOLT , b. 28 Jul 1868, Polk, IA; d. 26 Aug 1927, Kelso, Cowlitz, WA. Lived in Bull Run, OR in 1922.
8. MARY ALICE DAVOLT , b. 12 Nov 1870, Polk, IA; d. 10 Sep 1871, Polk, IA.
9. WILLIAM EDWARD GERNEY DAVOLT , b. 27 Feb 1873, Polk, IA; d. 25 Apr 1936, Kelso, Cowlitz, WA. Also went by the name "Edward", probably to avoid confusion with his father.
10. EMMA LOUISE DAVOLT , b. 16 Dec 1876, Cowlitz, WA; d. 28 Feb 1958, Longview,, WA; m. MARTIN NELSON , 16 Nov 1898; b. 23 Dec 1872, Torsing, Denmark; d. 1 Aug 1946, Kelso, Cowlitz, WA. Some records show she was born in 1875. After they were married, Emma and Martin lived in the Rainbow Addition, north of Kelso.